FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here is a list of typical questions that we have been asked in the past. This is by no means a comprehensive list so we encourage you to submit your additional questions using the link at the bottom of this page.
What can an athlete expect to take away from participating?
Athletes who participate in Future Comets AAU basketball program can expect to:
- Improve their overall basketball skills
- Improve their knowledge about the game of basketball
- Have targeted instruction to improve the skills they are interested in learning (skill specific training)
- Have an opportunity to travel and play clubs from across the west coast
Where, at what times, and how often do the girls practice?
- Where: Primarily teams practice at either Scenic Middle School, Hanby Middle School or Crater High School. Locations may change to other Central Point gyms if schedule conflicts arise in the primary locations.
- Times: Practice times vary depending on team. Practice days are usually Monday - Fridays and the time slots are generally between 4pm - 8pm. Individual team practices usually run 2 hours in duration.
- Frequency: 2-3x's/week
Is there adult supervision at all times during these practices?
- All practices have coaches that supervise all activities during practices.
Are the coaches skilled to coach basketball and provide a graduated learning of the game?
- All coaches have both coaching and playing backgrounds and have been screened to ensure they have a knowledge that is matched to the level of athlete they will coach. Coaches work to develop a plan for the season to enable teams and athletes to grow over the course of the season. Additionally, coaches receive support and training during the course of the season to address specific issues and challenges as they arise.
Are there medically trained personnel at these practices and team events?
- There are not trainers or other medical staff at the events. Athletes need to have insurance coverage to be able to participate and emergency plans are in place to ensure athletes get needed medical attention.
How long is the season?
- The season length typically runs from September thru mid-December.
- There are longer seasons options for some teams that have enough interest to compete in various tournaments. Teams that compete longer than the standard league play can have season that go thru May.
How often do the teams participate in tournament events?
- Several tournament options are presented to each teams, the number of actual tournaments that each team participates in depends solely on the number willing and committed to play.
Are these tournaments out of the local area and if so how are the athletes expected to travel to these events?
- Our teams participate in 2-3 local tournaments each season (Crater tournament, South Medford tournament, Singler tournament).
- 2-3 out of town tournaments will also be offered to the teams. Players are responsible for their own travel costs for out of town tournaments.
How many teams will there be?
- We hope to have 5 teams represented this upcoming season. Grades 4-8 teams will be formed.
Will the athletes play in all events?
- This is competitive basketball, but for the most part all athletes will play in all games if they attended all practices leading up to the event and have met expectations for attitude and effort during both practices and games. Playing time will not be equal, actual minutes played will depend on numerous factors.
- $20 Tryout Fee - nonrefundable and in addition to cost if player makes a team
- 4th Grade: $225.00
- 5th - 8th Grade: $275.00
- Additional siblings register at a 50% rate
What do fees cover?
- Player uniforms
- Skills Training
- Registration fees for some tournaments, depending on age group
- Facility usage fees
- Practice and game equipment
- Game referees
- AAU player fees
- Clerical costs